Monday, November 22, 2010

What is beauty?

This is a question that I frequently find myself asking, "what is beauty?" In a society that spends billions of dollars on cosmetics and cosmetic procedure, we seem to be unhappy by the way we look. I often find myself struggling with the concept of beauty in regards to the way I look. The way Hollywood portrays beauty is almost humanly unattainable...unless you make bank and can hire an on-call makeup artist.
We, us women learn at an early age that the girls that we see on tv are beautiful and boys only find those type of girls pretty and attractive. As soon as we are able to semi-understand the concept of makeup, we are hooked for life. We rise early in the morning to paint our face...the one the God provide us with, only to find ourselves disappointed by the way we look. The desire to look beautiful may engulf our lives to the point that some of us may seek out the help of doctors to perform cosmetic surgery. It starts off as a cut here, a stitch there, a lift over here and after countless surgeries we look in the mirror and find ourself empty, unhappy, and feeling less beautiful than before.
When I was began highschool, I'll be honest, the image of beauty in my mind was distorted. I thought that to be beautiful meant to be thin and have small lips and arched eyebrows and long eyelashes and symmetrical lips. For me personally, sometimes I find myself holding on to some of the those beliefs about beauty regarding the way I look. But thankfully, the term beauty and beautiful has changed since being in highschool. I feel like one standard of beauty can not be used to describe all people. Instead, I look at people individual and base their beauty not by what society tells me, but within that person's context. Also, I've noticed that I find imperfections beautiful on some people. It's all relative, however, traveling to different places in the country and in the world has taught me that beauty is relative and if you take a step back and truly look at a person for who they are and without a tainted or distorted Hollywood conception of beauty, then you'll be able to see the beauty in everyone you meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment